Cherry Season


The Malevolent Matriarch is a process and a means to an end. It’s the creation of a diary of sorts–a modern day blog–chronicling my family’s life. As I climb the hill, my questions outnumber the answers I seek. At the very least, I’ll go out with a greater understanding of whence* I came (and a very strong wish that those I meet in the afterlife will welcome me with open wings; I’d best be kind).

It also solves a dilemma: What are we to do with the hundreds of letters written about everyday life in the 40s and 50s? The collection is a gem, a treasure, a time capsule I am thrilled to have. Even through malevolent eyes, the very best parts are descriptions of my father’s childhood, an enviable find.

And, it pisses me off. The letters began in 1940 and have the power to spike my blood pressure 76 years later. Imagine! They answer some unknowns, however, and as I plow along, that will become evident.

The letters were penned by my great grandma, Orah Myrtle (Smith) Butterfield**.

Orah and baby Dennis Smith


Her mind was as razor sharp as her tongue, and rather than simply read and toss, or try to scan the myriad of pages, I decided to share.

She is the impetus for this blog. While I will try to be kind, I will not sugar coat her words or walk around the truth (and this, Tyler, Andrew, and Kelsey, is my gift to you).


I must add that through the pages as I read her words and got to know my great gramma, I noticed a measure of appreciation. I’m still not sure I like her, but I learned to appreciate what she’d been through; learned not to judge. I didn’t wear her boots.

I must also say that while these letters reveal Orah’s stinging negativity, others expose her sense of humor (there was one!). Some brush the edges of pleasant, simply recounting the day’s activities. I’ve titled my opening post Cherry Season as it is based on a positive letter, the first one she wrote. It was July, warm and sunny, and cherries were in season. Its happy image makes me smile. Because many others don’t, I’m determined to start positively.

Orah’s youngest daughter, Bertha, married (George Miller) the year before the letters began and moved from Tacoma to Sequim. Dec 2015_1930 census_orah servant for overturf family_dash point area tacoma_record-image_33SQ-GRCD-W9S

After Orah’s husband Elmer passed away, for a time she was a “servant” for a family of three (1930 census). Later, she moved in with Lalla (Orah’s oldest daughter, divorced from Carl Geier, my grandma, and pronounced Layla). Also in residence was my father, Rodney, who had just turned 11. Orah had time to fill and Bertha–the one farthest away–became the recipient of Orah’s writings. Middle daughter, Hazel (married Bert Kasae), lived nearby in Tacoma. Thirty nine was a busy year: Bertha married and moved away, and the remaining three moved to the house on K Street.

Come along with me as I take the plunge and unveil life through the eyes of my sharp-tongued matriarch, how she shaped the man my father would become; discover how a sharp tongue can cut, 76 years later.

Cherry Season

Part I

July 3, 1940

It was cherry season, and the tree in Lalla’s back yard was loaded. It was Wednesday morning and Orah woke up tired. She’d been putting up cherries for grandma and Hazel, and she couldn’t resist the ripe, red bursts of goodness.

“I feel like a cherrie I have ate so many, but they are so good.”

I can picture red teeth and stained fingers, the satisfaction of a young boy eating his fill at day’s end.

Orah had finished the morning ironing, and her legs needed a rest.

Orah first letter July 1940 (1)

Orah grabbed a pencil, her near daily ritual, and sat down to write. She missed her daughter.

Dec 2015_kitchen at S K st tacoma


The wood stove is long gone, but this is the kitchen where Orah wrote many of her letters to Bertha. She mentioned sitting near the stove to keep warm, or at the dining table where the sun warmed her face.

“It seems like a long time I no see you, she wrote.



I’ll be darned. I wondered about this phrase. Dad would say in a playful tone, “I no seeeeee you” if I was around the corner, or over the phone if he hadn’t seen me in a while.

This was nice on two counts, to know its origin, and that it made me smile 76 years later.

On this warm, July day, something was on Orah’s mind.

clothespin hanger, Orah

From patterns she ordered, Orah did beautiful piece work. She wrote of fixing a dress, or taking in a daughter’s skirt. She crocheted tablecloths, made the pansy doily below. Pillow slips were mentioned, and finishing tea towels. She made clothespin hangers for her daughters–something I’d seen hanging in my grandmother’s basement–one of which now hangs in my kitchen.

I finally know its origin. I began to appreciate these contributions.

Sewing and crocheting in the afternoons and evenings, Orah was able to sell some of her wares. This was Orah’s entire income, and what little grandma could spare.

Lalla was working full time, but her earnings went towards rent, bills, food, and raising her son. There was little extra. Some stockings had arrived, though, and Orah had received a second notice the money was due. She was worried, and looked to Bertha for help.

“I have not got the money for them.”

Although money would become a theme and significant sore spot between Orah and Lalla, Orah’s letters reveal plenty of shopping (and speak of her character).

orahs letter july 3 1940

I’d seen several references but initially I didn’t know what Orah meant by 38. Later, when I read “they are here at 38 St. P.O.,” I realized she meant 38th street.

This view of South 38th Street near Yakima in February of 1941 shows the newly completed paving of the busy roadway. Better known now in the 21st century as an area filled with Asian markets and restaurants, in 1941 it held a variety of businesses to suit the Lincoln neighborhood. The 38th St. Grill and soda fountain was located on the right, at 3801 Yakima Ave. So., directly across the street from the Model Bakery (in shadow). An Arctic Bottling Co. truck is doubleparked outside the 38th St. Grill to make a delivery of sodas. Reardon's Golden Pig restaurant in the Harry Todd Block, 775-77 So. 38th, is on the left side of the street with the Independent Cleaners, 771 So. 38th St., next door. Quality Upholstery & Shade, 767-69 So. 38th, is further down the street as are the Clowers Furs and Dory Cafe. There were apparently no traffic lights at the corner. Cars, bicycles and pedestrians had to cross with caution. Photo courtesy of the Northwest Room/Richards Studio Collection, Tacoma Public Library, 253-292-2001,

This photo (1941) was taken when Orah lived nearby. This is where they shopped. It was the business hub of the area, complete with stores, restaurants, bakeries, cleaners, and the 38th street post office.

Dec 2015_map of south K st tacoma 1940s

K Street, two blocks west of Lincoln High School, runs into South 38th. The Geier-Butterfield home sat two and a half blocks from the main drag, about where I placed the red X. Dad attended Whitman grade school and Lincoln High.



Dec 2015_close up shot of 3526 S K tacoma

Orah, left, stands in front of her home on K Street during the years she wrote the letters. At right is a current view.


The next morning, July 4th, Orah would head out at 6:30 a.m. with Mrs. Sear’s*** daughter, Hazel. Wild blackberries were ready for picking and they intended to beat the heat. The family would soon enjoy the fruits of Orah’s labor: blackberry jelly.

This is another source of appreciation: dad ate well. Orah was home during the day, and in the early years did the canning and preserving. There was no vegetable garden on K street, but Orah maintained and took full advantage of the berries, apples, peaches, pears, and cherries.

And gramma planted raspberries next to the garage and loganberries between the apple and peach trees,” dad wrote. They also had gravensteins and pears.

courtesy memoir, Rod Geier
Jan 2016_open area 3526 K st_upstairs
open area upstairs, K St.

“For a couple years mom made large batches of root beer and put it in glass jugs which we stored in the open area upstairs,” dad recalls.

“It was a great family drink we served guests whenever we hosted family functions.”

Imagine home made root beer at a family event. Lalla did what she could to have fun, make life enjoyable.

Orah letters_1940 to April 1941
Orah mentions “logan berrie bush”

Orah mentions the loganberry bush received from their neighbor, Mrs. Cyr.

Although mostly happy, these images cannot hide the trouble that was brewing. An unhappy or unfulfilled spirit was in residence.

Along with the following, Orah was experiencing headaches, eye trouble, dizziness, “water” trouble, and stomach issues.

“I can’t hardly walk some of the time.”  Aug. 1940

“Wish you were here I would make you put me to bed.” Aug. 1940

Still later, “…just meanness coming out.” Sept. 1940

“Left limb doesn’t feel very good.” Feb. 1941

“I’m so tired I don’t know my name.” March 1941

Orah’s misery became more apparent with time. As sometimes happens, we take it out on those we love (“I never seen such a pig” April, 1941).

In Cherry Season, Part II, Orah’s life appears to take a turn, but I believe it was a culmination, that she reached a place where the combination of several life events had taken their toll. How much could you handle? Gives me pause.

Stay tuned.


 * I love dusting off and plunking in the quirky words.

**For genealogical purposes, I’ll create an ongoing surname list, those Orah mentions: Smith, Butterfield, Geier, Cyr, Sear, Miller, Kasae.

***Orah was not a champion speller. Radio was often spelled raido, and she referred to her own grandson as Rondey instead of Rodney. The errors leave me wondering if Mrs. Sear was in fact Mrs. Cyr, but Orah uses both spellings.

5 thoughts on “Cherry Season

  • Yes, as hard as it was to read, it gave me the idea to bring her to life through that very same (negative) writing. I NEVER thought I’d be doing anything like this, but I love it and hope my children will enjoy this later. Orah was very creative; it wasn’t all bad. She had a very nasty tongue and while that gives me fuel for my fire, it is hard, especially after you know the rest of what she endured. I have repeatedly asked myself: How could she say that, or why was she that negative in light of her experiences? Fascinating. And, thanks for following along. I truly appreciate your comments. 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  • Sounds as if Miss Orah had a troubled heart. I bet it’s hard reading some of those. Seems like we want everything to be happy and sweet, and sometimes it just wasn’t.

    Love the pictures of the doilies and clothespin bags. Especially since you have one in your kitchen.

    I’m glad you have this blog. Even though I am not related, it’s pretty neat to read the stories and “see” the history in the photographs. 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

Please share your thoughts:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s