As I continue to climb the hill, I notice things about my body that are not altogether pleasing. It can be very, very discouraging and depressing. We live in a culture rich with placing worth on appearance. And it gets old. Very, very old.
But, today I read an article about a woman who, for the very first time, bought and wore a bikini after years of feeling inadequate. I was inspired. Her story brought tears to my eyes. At nine, she went to weight loss camp, at eleven, had surgery. She is now 21. Her name is Lesley, and here is the link to her story.
Then, I opened my Reader and found a great post written by my new friend Heather Anne. Heather Anne had seen a post on another blog about positive body image and was motivated to actually take time to name things about her body she liked. Think about that!
I decided to take that challenge and make my list. This is very hard. Nonetheless, here goes:
- I have always liked my height. I am 5′ 7″ and have never felt too tall or too short. This comes in handy; I can reach whatever I need, have never wanted to be taller for any reason.
- I love my skin. When I was a child I was teased about this. I was born with jaundice. My mom says the whites of my eyes were yellow (for a short time!) and my skin color remained a bit darker, I guess from having a bit more pigment. At any rate, over the years I’ve come to love my skin “tone.”
- I could be the “Brown-eyed girl.” I got my parents’ large, brown eyes. Enough said.
- I have slim ankles and wrists. No Pop Eye here.
- I have strong legs. Running, walking, and hiking have always come easy. My ability to do these things has changed ever so slightly–some days I have a hitch in my get-along, and the knees and feet don’t always cooperate–but, when I want to, the legs usually come through.
WAHOO!!! I did it. Yay!! Please join me in this most important challenge. And for the rest of Heather’s story, read on:
Body Confident Challenge: Name 5 Things You Love About Your Body
In this article, Cookie said that only 22% of women in Canada feel confident in their body image. Only 22%! That’s less than a quarter of woman in the country. That’s just sad and disheartening. Unfortunately, it’s not surprising.
Now, I live in the United States, but I couldn’t imagine our percentage looked any better. According to the Huffington Post article, only 24% of American women feel body confident. Still less than a quarter of women in my country. That’s terrible, and it shouldn’t be this way!
Because of that, I’m rallying around Cookie. As women, we must change this perception. Not only for our own sake, but for our future generations. At her request, I’m listing five things I love about my body.
- My ass brings all the boys to the yard. And their like, it’s better than yours. No. In all seriousness, my ass is Italian and awesome.
- My breast aren’t large. They’re definitely smaller than average. But then again, so am I. Despite their small size, I think they’re perfect
- My hair is easy to manage. Naturally straight. Pretty cooperative. Double bonus.
- With my short stature, I can fit into just about any small space with ease.
- I have curves, and I like to show them.
Wow. That was surprisingly difficult to do. Took me a hot minute or two to come up with, if I’m being honest. But now it’s your turn! Find five things you love about your body and post them for all to see. Show the world that you’re not afraid to love yourself! Don’t forget to check out Cookie’s website here! Happy Wednesday, everyone! Until tomorrow.
Here is the link to her blog: The Magical Thinker.
So, while I may be seeing a bit more silver, and a few more sags and wrinkles, by golly, I’m gonna like ’em!
❤ You are all beautiful. Have a fabulous day! ❤