Reasons to giggle

Today I woke up with renewed energy. It was sort of like having ants in my pants (not that I’ve experienced those critters in my lower regions, but, work with me here; it’s how I imagine it would feel had they been there; I wanted to run and jump). The burst of energy may be due to my recently increased exercise. It is looooong overdue, but I’m back each day walking for 30 minutes, AND I’m doing my practically forgotten floor exercises. Or maybe my energy is because it’s spring. It’s sunny today and I’m feelin’ groovy. And sparkly. Maybe even sassy. (Definitely sassy).

Or maybe it’s because we received some really, really good exceptional news this week and I’m not yet down from my high. Yeah, that has to be it.

So, while I tell you about our news, I’m going to show you how my day started.

hoskins_spring day_baking_cats_bus_bees_planting (15)Traffic was literally backing up on our road this morning; we watched vehicle after vehicle drive backwards to “go around the block.” This bus clogged traffic after trying to turn around in our do-able but narrow driveway. No one was hurt, and remarkably, only one child was on the bus at the time. The tow truck arrived and all returned to normal…except for damage on the underside of the bus. Ooops.

REASON TO GIGGLE (i.e. our news): My husband had surgery in January to remove his prostate gland. Well, THAT doesn’t make me giggle. The cancer diagnosis itself was a gut punch; he’s been the epitome of health since I’ve known him (not to mention the healthiest 70 year old I know). But, he has healed quite nicely from the surgery and was back at work less than two weeks after the “snip snip” (his words).

Since, in light of our news, we are having a celebratory dinner this weekend, I decided to get a start on my baking. We are having a taco bar with all the fixins including homemade tortillas. For dessert and any baked goods, I must take extra care since we have many allergies to consider. I tried a new recipe today for chocolate chip cookies, gluten free. The book and the recipe look legit:

Someone can’t have eggs. Someone else can’t have dairy. Several of us can’t have wheat. I LOVE A GOOD CHALLENGE. I used coconut yogurt and applesauce mixed with baking powder for the eggs. The dough was a bit sticky. Against my better judgment, I baked as directed. My “cookies” morphed into a solid glob of chocolaty, half baked goo. I scooped it into a large circle and baked for another six minutes.

Hmmm. They aren’t really cookies. They are more like broken brownies. Presto! Husband approved Browkies were born!

hoskins_spring day_baking_cats_bus_bees_planting (7)In keeping with my renewed commitment to exercise, each time that buzzer was set, I hauled a**, I mean, I started walking. I logged in 27 minutes by the time my last batch was done.

And, to get that perfect cookie, I mixed the dough again by adding 1/2 Cup more flour.Β  Ah, perfection:

REASON TO GIGGLE: Last Wednesday, my husband had his first blood test after the surgery. With prostate cancer, one must give the body time to heal and rid the body of rogue cells before the first blood test. In the absence of cancer, normal prostate tissues can show a PSA* value. Ideally, after surgery, we want the PSA to have a value of zero. By Friday morning, we learned that his PSA value is .06. The word our primary care doctor used was “negligible.” While it wasn’t zero, the relief is indescribable.

I crave spring. It’s my favorite time of year. Everything smells delicious. It smells healthy. Sunshine feels healthy. Can one become healthier by inhaling spring air? I think so. Our cats are indoor only, but they get the idea.

hoskins_spring day_baking_cats_bus_bees_planting (8)

Our rescue, Gandalf, basking in the sunshine.

And when I came upstairs, this is what I found:

hoskins_spring day_baking_cats_bus_bees_planting (16)

Our other rescue, Otis, basking upstairs.

Along with sunshine, my favorite sign of spring is planting. My husband built a tiny greenhouse a couple years ago. Each year, I can hardly wait to get out there and start our garden in seeds. Here’s what I did March 12.

hoskins_spring day_baking_cats_bus_bees_planting (13)When I started, I was quickly reminded of a not-so-fun day last year. I was stung twice by wasps in rapid succession in my little greenhouse. I’d picked up one of these flats not realizing wasps will hide out between the sections, front and back. OUCH!

Yeah, it’s almost my favorite place to be, except when it’s not.

We’ll be spraying again since these buggers really love this place. I counted six nests today on the underside of my workbench. But, I’m still flying high….

REASON TO GIGGLE: Finally, this Monday my husband saw the surgeon. It was the first visit post surgery (and after that oh-so-important blood test). Not only is the cancer “negligible,” HIS PSA IS ACTUALLY LESS THAN .06.

Did you read that?! It’s LESS THAN .06. That’s even better!

Apparently, some labs report the number as less than, or greater than, rather than send an actual number. If our surgeon says my husband’s number is LESS THAN, we’ll take it and we are over the moon! That means, while it could be .06, it isn’t; it’s less than that. It could be zero. The reason for the .06 could be normal, non-cancerous prostate cells which give a PSA value, or it could mean a negligible amount of cancer cells remaining after surgery. As long as the number stays below 1, and does not rise too quickly before two years, he does not have to worry about radiation.Β

LESS THAN .06. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I am glad the child on the bus and the driver are OK. I am pleased to have developed a new dessert: the gluten free Browkie! Spring is here, and as long as I can step outside and play in the dirt while inhaling the health of spring, I’ll be OK.

Most of all I am grateful my husband’s body has healed and is continuing to heal. I am grateful for the surgeon’s talented hands. I am grateful I can be here to help my husband through the transition of a major surgery. I’m grateful for good food and newfound energy that comes from taking care of one’s self, even when life gets really hard.

I’m grateful I can giggle today. There are many reasons to do so.

I’m grateful I don’t have ants in my pants.

rwe_quotes_

Have a fabulous day!

(*PSA is the prostate serum antigen, aprotein produced by both cancerous and noncancerous tissue in the prostate, a small gland that sits below a man’s bladder. Jan 6, 2018 Mayo Clinic).

20 comments for “Reasons to giggle

1. March 15, 2018 at 12:23 pm

I’m so happy for you and for your husband! You have reason to giggle indeed. And to outright celebrate, I think!

• March 15, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Thank you, Ann. The stress is indescribable, and the waiting (for that next test) is agonizing, but somehow we make it. Still giggling, and planning. πŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend.

2. March 15, 2018 at 8:32 am

I’m glad to hear the good news. I am considered cancer free since my surgery 6 months ago, but I understand about the future. I am finally able to look ahead and plan. Even with my good diagnosis it still affects you in ways you never thought it would. I was also an extremely healthy person with no cancer in the family, so you just never know.

• March 15, 2018 at 8:35 am

This is what is so unnerving about the big C. One can eat right, exercise, get enough sleep, work on stress reduction, and appear to do all the right things and still get cancer. Can I ask what type of cancer you had? I wish you very well and I hope your path to health stays clear. Thanks for chiming in. Have a great week and weekend! πŸ™‚

• March 15, 2018 at 8:54 am

I had breast cancer and it was caught very early with a mammogram. I had screening yearly for nearly 25 years and was pretty confident it would never happen to me. I don’t carry the gene. Screening is a good thing!

• March 15, 2018 at 12:44 pm

It is, and thank you for the reminder. I’m due for mine. I am glad you are cancer free. Now I understand the worry and life-is-upside down feeling that comes with this disease. My best to you.

3. Amy
    March 15, 2018 at 7:16 am

What wonderful news! I am so glad that he is doing well and that you all can breathe more easily.

• March 15, 2018 at 8:18 am

Thanks, Amy. We are pretty relieved. It is far from over, since now we live from test to test. That said, each three month interval with no change gives us a bit more time. People may not realize that with cancer, it’s hard to plan anything and that is depressing. But, we are staying the course and remaining positive. Hope this finds you well. How goes your research?

• Amy
        March 15, 2018 at 2:31 pm

One day at a time—that’s all you can do. Thinking too far ahead just makes us anxious and makes us overlook what is happening in the present.

The research continues!

• March 16, 2018 at 12:38 pm

For sure, Amy, for sure. One thing cancer teaches us is to value “the moment.” ❀

4. Gary Roberts
    March 15, 2018 at 4:02 am

That’s a bunch of good news and It made me smile! Thanks! I’m happy for your guys.

• March 15, 2018 at 8:16 am

Hi Gary, you are most welcome. I was glad to share. It’s been a real test (of many things) but we are hanging in there and staying positive. Hoping to get more flower and nature photos up soon. How goes the research?

5. March 14, 2018 at 9:15 pm

I was wondering where you had been and now I understand. A lot of your energy goes into helping him beat this thing and you both did a great job of it. He is “working” at home, right? Not at a job. I would be dancing in the aisles too. Congrats to you both for a whole new start. I was stung by yellow jackets last summer and am terrified to go outside and work there now. I hate being stung or swarmed. Good to see you back.

• March 15, 2018 at 8:15 am

Hi Marlene, I’ve been here and reading some but not responding. I’ve been enjoying the posts about you and your sister. I’m finally feeling like getting back into the game. Since September, I’ve been in a fog. Hope you are doing well. Yes, we are spraying and hoping for NO stings this year. Enjoy the spring!

• March 15, 2018 at 7:39 pm

I do understand. Some things take a deeper priority. Husbands health is right up top. Take your time getting back in the game. Life has it’s own agenda.

• March 16, 2018 at 12:41 pm

I’ve started reading but I’m not yet commenting… just trying to catch up a bit, which seems nearly impossible. We are having a celebratory dinner tomorrow with all the kids. Will be lots of fun. I hope you are feeling well, Marlene. ❀

6. Susan Phelps
    March 14, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Wonderful news!

Susan

sphelps@rockbridge.net

Γ’Β€ΒœAll the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.Ҁ Henry Havelock Ellis

• March 22, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Susan, I just learned that many of my messages went to my trash file (here at WordPress) without my permission. I was very surprised, but aim to go back and respond to all the kind folks who wrote .Your message was one of these. Anyway, yes, it is FABULOUS news. We are still flying high…because LIFE. IS. GOOD. πŸ˜‰

7. Anonymous
    March 14, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Wonderful post! Great to hear good news.

• March 15, 2018 at 8:13 am

Thanks so much! Thanks for stopping by. πŸ™‚

Please share your thoughts:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s